Catholic Diocese of Ballarat, Education
PO Box 576 Ballarat Victoria 3353
Telephone: (03) 5337 7135
Facsimile: (03) 5331 5166
ABN: 45 121 091 506
RECEIVED 27 JAN 2012 AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTE OF FAMILY STUDIES
25 January 2012
Professor Alan Hayes
Australian Institute of Family Studies
Level 20, 485 LaTrobe Street
Dear Professor Hayes
I am in receipt of your request for an extension for a previously approve application - Growing up in Australia: The Longitudinal Study of Australian Children
I am pleased to advise that on the basis of infmmation you have provided I grant approval for you to approach the Principals of our schools seeking their involvement in the project. You will understand that many requests are made to our schools and I am conscious of the time commitment required by participants. With this in mind I stress that the decision as to whether or not to participate rests with the individual Principals.
The following general conditions apply to all persons/institutions conducting research in schools in the Diocese of Ballarat:
- 1) The decision as to whether or not your research can proceed in a school rests with the School Principal. For each school in which you wish to do the research, you must obtain approval directly from the School Principal.
- 2) You are requested to provide the Principal with an outline of your research proposal and the likely time that participation in the research project will demand. A copy of notification of approval from the appropriate Ethics Committee should also be provided to the participating school.
- 3) A Criminal Record check is necessary for all researchers visiting schools and should be shown to the Principal before starting research in each school.
- 4) No student is to participate in uour research study unless s/he is willing to do so and permission is given by a parent/guardian. Sufficient information must be provided to enable a parent/guardian to make an informed decision. Permission to participate would generally be indicated by means of a consent form, signed by a parent/guardian and returned to the school. You are requested to liaise with the School Principal to assist in the writing of a letter to parents/guardians regarding information about the research project.
- 5) You are requested to forward a list of schools/participants to this office.
- 6) Any substantive modifications to the research proposal or additional research involving use of the data collected will require a further research approval submission to this office.
- 7) Data relating to individual students or schools is to remain confidential.
- 8) I will look forward to receiving a copy of the research findings and would expect that you offer such results to participating schools.
I take this opportunity to wish you success with your research project.